Enrollment Procedures for New Students: Current proof of immunizations, birth certificate, evidence of current grade level (report card or withdrawal form from previous school), and proof of residence in the Alhambra Elementary School District attendance area must be provided when enrolling a new student. A student will be assigned to a classroom by the administration based upon English Language Proficiency, a student’s needs, and/or other factors that are deemed appropriate in making the best possible placement. All classroom placements are considered temporary and can be adjusted by the administration at any time depending on the needs of the school.
Out of Area Variance Procedures: While moving is sometimes unavoidable, parents should try to keep their child enrolled at the same school whenever possible. Students who move out of the Alhambra Elementary School District attendance area may apply for a variance by coming to the office and completing an out of area variance request form. If approved, the child(ren) will be allowed to continue at Valencia Newcomer School as a student. The Alhambra Elementary School District will accommodate as many attendance variance requests as possible from both inside and outside the District attendance area. Please contact the administration if you wish to request an attendance variance for your child. The administration of the school will be happy to discuss the request with you. Granting of variances is a site-based decision by the school administration. The decision to grant a variance is based on enrollment for the grade level of each school. An approved variance is only good for the current school year. A variance must be renewed each school year.
If a variance request is granted, parents and students agree to the following:
- Maintain good attendance (95% or higher)
- Maintain passing grades
- Maintain good behavior (no out of school suspensions or excessive detentions or referrals)
- Parents will provide transportation and the student will not ride District buses
- If walking, students MUST use designated crosswalks at all times
- Students will not arrive at school earlier than 7:35 a.m.
- On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, parents will pick students up at 2:50 p.m. for regular dismissal, or 3:50 p.m. if the students stay for an after-school activity. On Wednesday, parents will pick students up at 12:50 p.m.
Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the immediate revocation of the variance.
- Please notify the office at least two days in advance of your child’s withdrawal.
- Prior to being withdrawn, all school materials and books must be turned in (including textbooks and library materials). In addition, all fines must be paid.
- Parents must sign a copy of the withdrawal form. This form is a legal document and will be needed to register your child at his/her new school.