What are the benefits of Choice?
Choice Helps Overcome Two Common Challenges
Students learn more when they are motivated. I know this isn't exactly an earth-shaking statement. We all know from experience that when students have energy and passion for their work and are driven to excel, they can accomplish incredible feats. We also know that all students are motivated. However, students aren't always motivated to do the school work that's in front of them. Sometimes, the learning task is so easy that it is boring or so hard that it is overly daunting. Or it may be that the learning doesn't seem to have any personal relevance or doesn't connect with a student's strengths or interests. When Choice is used well, it can help overcome both of these common classroom challenges.
Additional Benefits of Choice:
- Students engage in deeper, richer learning.
- Students display more on-task behavior.
- Students' social and emotional learning increases.
- The learning environment becomes more collaborative.
- Teaching is more fun.
What choices do students have at Choice Learning Academy?
At Choice Learning Academy students get to choose :
- Their intervention
- Their lunch period
- Their choice to learn in one of our three academies:
- Arts Academy- Art, Digital Animation, Modern Band, Drama, and Dance
- Business Academy -Marketing, Finance, and Product Innovation
- Technology Academy- Drones, Robotics, and Coding
What does a school day look like at Choice?
Students will begin each day in an advisory class where they will receive individualized support and mentoring from a certified teacher. They will attend their core classes (Math, Science, History & Social Science, and English Language Arts) where they will be learning through hands-on project-based learning. In addition to their core classes, each student will have their CHOICE in a lab, lunchtime, and one of our sixteen academy courses. They will attend the academy course of their choosing for two periods.
What is Project-Based Learning?
Project-Based Learning (PBL) is a teaching method in which students learn by actively engaging in real-world and personally meaningful projects. To learn more about Project-Based Learning click here.
Why Project Based Learning?
Because Project Based Learning engages students in learning that is deep and long-lasting, and inspires for them a love of learning and personal connection to their academic experience.
Is there tuition?
We are a 6th -8th public school and tuition is free.
When is the first day of school for this 2021-2022 school year?
The first day of school is Monday, August 9, 2021.
How do I register for Choice Learning Academy?
- Enrollment for Existing Westwood and Simpson Students- Fifth-grade students from Westwood and all Simpson students will automatically be enrolled. You will not need to re-enroll your student/s.
- Choice Learning Academy is for grades 6-8.
- New Students- We are always happy to answer any questions or provide assistance. Registration and information are available at:
Choice Learning Academy
MON-THURS from 8am-2pm
5330 N 23rd Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85015
Alhambra Elementary School District Office
MON-THURS from 8am-4pm
4510 North 37th Ave Phoenix 85019