Homework usually falls into one of three categories: practice, preparation, or extension. The purpose usually varies by grade. Individualized assignments that tap into students' existing skills or interests can be motivating. At the elementary school level, homework can help students develop study skills and habits and can keep families informed about their child's learning. At the secondary school level, student homework is associated with greater academic achievement. (Review of Educational Research, 2006)
Homework activities may include:
- Unfinished class assignments or makeup work for classes missed due to absences.
- Reinforcement of skills learned in the classroom.
- Projects that supplement materials studied in the classroom.
- Written work that permits the application of skills being developed.
- Problem-solving skills.
Amount and Difficulty:
Recommended time allotments and limitations shall include sufficient flexibility to allow for varying circumstances and situations. These should include:
- No assigned homework on weekends or holidays.
- Provisions so that no child is overburdened.
- Consideration of the family life of the child and the child's parents.
- Suggested time allotments according to national studies:
Grade 1 none, or, at most, 20 minutes
Grade 2 up to about 20 minutes
Grade 3 25 minutes
Grade 4 30 minutes
Grade 5 45 minutes
Grade 6 50 minutes
Grades 7/8 60 to 90 minutes
- Assignments shall be made if children understand the process and have had sufficient practice to do it unaided.
- Assignments shall not be given for disciplinary reasons.
- Assignments shall not require books or materials that are not available at home or where resource materials are limited.
- Assignments must clearly serve a purpose.
(AESD Policy IKB)
Lions Cubs Tutoring
Alhambra Elementary School District is proud of the partnership it has established with STAND For Children, Alhambra High School, and St. Mary’s Food Bank in providing tutoring opportunities to all students in grades Pre-K to 8th on Mondays and Thursdays from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM in the Alhambra High School cafeteria.